Animal Science/Advanced Woodworking/Basic Metals Class
Animal Facilities Lesson
Your task is to design the "perfect" animal facility for a designated purpose. The documents below provide you with information about livestock handling and will aid you in designing the facilities. Follow the steps below to fulfil the requirements of this lesson.
1. Your teacher will guide you through the Prezi at the following location or you will go through it on your own. In the Prezi, you will have access to several videos dealing with livestock handling. During these videos, take note of the items of discussion provided by your teacher and answer the discussion questions posed throughout the Prezi.
2. Decide on the use of the facilities that you plan to design. A document with some examples is attached below. Each student/group should design facilities for different purposes.
3. Review the information provided that pertains to your facilities and research other resources online. This information will be beneficial when you present your facilities design.
4. Use graph paper to draw a scale model of the facilities. This drawing should include every aspect of the design and should be labeled as necessary including dimensions.
5. Present your design to the teacher. Your teacher will ask a lot of "why" questions. You must be able to answer these questions using proof from your research (refer to step 3).
6. If your teacher suggests changes or additions, make those updates before moving forward.
7. Once your design has been approved, create a list of the gate sizes that you will need and submit that to your teacher for cuting. The scale should be 1" = 5'.
8. You may now collect a 4' x 4' piece of plywood and begin sketching out the design and determining where panels and fences will go.
9. When your gates have been cut out, you may start to attach them to the plywood.
10. Upon finishing the facilities design, you will present your facilities to the class. This presentation will include the what's and why's of your design. (see attached rubric).
Interesting or Useful Links